Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Make a Space for Joy

I was thinking about a one woman musical that was popular when I was at BYU. It is called Polly. It's the story of a pioneer woman (the great, great who knows how many greats grandmother of Janice Kapp Perry) and her experience in joining the church and moving out west. There is a part in the video where Polly gets a letter telling her that her daughter had been killed. She sings a song called, "Make a Space for Joy" that I think is so wonderful and helps me understand a little better about why I need to take life one day at a time. Here are some of the words:

If I’d know from the start what would happen
If I’d known in my heart, well then, what then?
But I chose right
I felt it all along
If I had known what would happen
I might have chosen wrong.
Is that why you keep us guessing?
Is our ignorance protection?
Is it really just a blessing in disguise?
Could you celebrate a birthday
Knowing life would soon be past you?
Could you spend the sweat to build a house
You knew would not outlast you?
Could you bear to love the children
Who would die before their season?
We’d miss so much of happiness
And maybe that’s the reason not to know
To free us from the burden of the future
And make a space for joy

To make a space for joy.


1 comment:

Jamie said...

Jen,
This is very touching and makes me think if Vic and Molly. I am so glad you are having more good days than bad. Kim just found out she is pregnant.