Sunday, March 8, 2009

In the ER one more time

OK so this is the fourth time we have been in the ER since December. I was in two times, Raegan once, and now it's Jonathan's turn. Poor little guy. He has RSV. He will be in the hospital for a few days. At least he is not coughing so much. And he is resting peacefully. He is on oxygen and an iv. He will get to go home when he is eating normally (which he is not doing--eating, that is) and when he can keep his oxygen levels up on his own. I have no idea how he got RSV. He wasn't held that much, we didn't take him hardly anywhere. Raegan was only allowed to touch the top of his head or his feet. We used hand sanitizer and washed our hands incessantly. HOW? Of course, I have a cold, so I am sure I was the one to give it to him.

I learned something about babies I did not know. They do not breathe through their mouths. The only breathe through their noses which is why having a cold is so dangerous for them. If their nose is plugged, they can't breathe. And that is Jonathan's problem. When we got to the ER last night, his oxygen level was at 66%. It makes me absolutely SICK to think what would have happened if we had waited even until the next morning to do something. I felt like I was in a movie--or maybe the show ER. When the triage nurse measured his oxygen, (which score I did not know at the time) she said "Follow me." The next thing I knew, my little baby was on a big white bed in the ER with about 10 people around him doing a so many things. The nurse was talking to me in such a calm voice and I wanted to scream, "WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH MY BABY?" They talked about so many possibilities and even mentioned a spinal tap to check for spinal meningitis. I felt like I was going to pass out--I think I was having a relapse from my surgery reaction. Anyway, the test results came back positive for RSV. At least we know what is wrong now and just have to wait for it to run its course. He is still having labored breathing and that is a problem. They also said this RSV could trigger asthma. I am praying he not have any side effects from this virus. I am so thankful he is in such good hands. I am not as anxious now that I know what is wrong.

So sorry if this seems like I am rambling. I haven't slept much in the past few months and it shows. Thanks to everyone who is praying for our baby. He will get better soon.

2 comments:

Tanner ♥ Chaya said...

Oh goodness that sounds scary! I hope everything gets better!

granny said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! Keep us posted on his progress. Here's to a very speedy recovery.