Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Update

They took another x-ray this morning to see if the lobe in Jonathan's lung has re-expanded, and it did not re-expand. For the last 24 hours they suspected he did not have pnuemonia, but he does have viral pneumonia. The dr. told me yesterday he suspected that the lobe would re-expand by today. He words to me this morning were, "Well, I was wrong." The pulmonologist will be by to see him some time today. The attending dr. says he thinks they will tell us to stop feeding him formula. Apparently it is possible that when he drinks he is aspirating some and it is going into his lung. We'll see what the pulmonologist says. Poor Jonathan. The dr. said it is uncommon to have an entire lobe collapse. He still has very labored breathing and is still on the oxygen and iv. Although his progress is "slow," his coloring is good, he is eating on a regular basis (sad to say that may be a bad thing), and he is awake more. Right now he has developed a pretty good cough. That is a sign that the rsv is running its course. The dr. said he would have the cough for a good two weeks. He HATES to cough--that is really the only time he cries (other than when they suction him). He is still producing a lot of thick mucus that he cannot extract by himself--thus, the suctioning. But the cough is a productive one, and that is a good thing.

Through all of this, I am amazed at how I have been getting feelings about certain things--I know it is Heavenly Father prodding me to do certain things. For example, when I got here yesterday morning his oxygen was turned down to .7 and he was really having to fight to breathe. I had the thought--he shouldn't have to work so hard to breathe if he is struggling to overcome pneumonia. I explained that to the nurse and ask that she turn up the oxygen. She did and a few hours later, the dr. agreed with my decision. How did I know that? I have NO experience with this kind of thing. Another example is with Jonathan eating formula. I kept asking if it would make his mucus thicker. The nurses and dr. all said no but it turns out that the formula might be causing problems with the fluid in his lungs. I could list so many other little things like that but suffice it to say how thankful I am for the promptings of the Holy Ghost! I need to live my life in such a way I can stay in tune to those promptings to help Jonathan the best way I can.

Jonathan has had a great nurse--Brenda. Today is her last 12 hour shift, and we will be sad to see her go. He has had such wonderful treatment here. We are so thankful for good health care and good insurance. We are so blessed!

Yesterday I spoke with the social work manager for PCH and she asked me if I would be interested in serving on the parent advisory council for the hospital. I told her I would love to, depending on the time committment involved. They are supposed to call me. We'll see what happens there. . .

Thanks to everyone for your continued prayers. Our family has felt the strength of united faith and prayers in our behalf. We are so grateful!

10 comments:

Mark said...

Johnathan is in our prayers day and night. Good to hear he is progressing with the cough. Mark, Meagan and family

Ida said...

Great blog, Jennifer. We are praying for little Jonathan each day. Good luck.

Debi said...

I am praying for Johnathan and your whole family!

granny said...

Thanks for the updates. I appreciate knowing without having to bug you right now!

Anonymous said...

Jennifer, I am really sorry about all this...You will see that in the end, your baby will be healthy again...

Anonymous said...

jennifer, this is Juana....Your baby will be fine...

Anonymous said...

We are praying for Johnathan Jen! We are also praying for the whole family and specially for you. Don't forget to take care of yourself, Hugs!
Berenice, Alex, Camila & Alex

Heather Bower said...

Oh gosh, how scary. Thanks for keeping us updated, I'll keep checking in. Also I'll keep praying for your family.

Anjum Malone said...

Hey Jen! I'm sooo glad I didn't come over to see him when I was sick (but still walking around). He's in our prayers and thoughts. I would love to bring dinner...let me know when.
Anjum

J.R. said...

You guys remain in my prayers and if your schedule allows for it, PCH would be lucky to have you on their parent advisory board.